Day 9: Almost There (Ben A.)

Ben Abrahams, 

Mr. Grisbee, 

3D Modeling and Printing M-Term, 

March 30th, 2023 
Almost There 

    Today was the penultimate day of our 3D Modeling and Printing M-Term. The focus of today was to have all models finished, and to get said models on the printers. For me, today was mostly about finishing my model, so that I could print it first thing tomorrow morning. I picked up from where I have left off the day before, and within an hour, I had come up with what I thought was my final design. However, when I sliced it, the print time was 10 hours. By adjusting some settings, I was able to get the time down to 7 hours, but that was still an unreasonable amount of time, especially considering the amount of people that needed to print. Mr. Grisbee helped me come up with some ideas to fix my design, and so, a little frustrated, I went back to modeling. 

    To get the print time down, I hollowed out the main part of the stand, as well as the supports for both my phone, and the stand itself. Additionally, I made my design smaller, to reduce the amount of layers needed. This cut the print time down to 4 hours, and with some more tweaking of the settings, I was able to get it down even further, to 3 hours. Unfortunately, by the time I finished my modeling, there was not enough time left in the day for me to print, as other people were already using both printers, but I should be able to print first thing tomorrow morning. 

    Today was a bit frustrating, but I am glad that I have finished my design, and am ready to print. Hopefully by tomorrow, I should have a fully functioning phone stand.





    

Comments