Day 10-Looking Back

I am glad that I chose to take this 3d modeling and printing m-term. It taught me a lot and though there were challenges, I have no doubt that I will use fusion 360 in the future, as what is designed can be printed out on a 3d printer. 

On the first and second days, I wasn't there because I wasn't feeling well. When I got back I felt that I caught on quickly, attempting to make my own designs at the end of the first week. Compared to the j-term, I liked the way I learned how to use fusion through video tutorials on how to design certain objects, such as paper clips and beer bottles. When I 3d printed my designs, it was fascinating to see them in physical space rather than just on a computer screen. I am excited that one of the two 3d printers we used will stay at school, so I can print things in the future. 

When I began creating designs on my own, I focused on designing pieces that could be printed out and used in my life. The game pieces I worked on were my favorite. I designed them for my sister and me, and they were probably the best thing I designed and printed during the m-term. They were also easy to create after watching the tutorials. I think designing and creating my own solutions to problems was definitely something I learned to do during this course. 

Though Fusion 360 had a relatively easy-to-use user interface, there were challenges to getting designs to meet my vision. I could have spent hours tweaking designs, such as making sure the game pieces had the right curvature, but I had to be content after a while because I didn't want to spend too much time on them. I also encountered several problems in Ultimaker Cura,  the software used to change the design to the code used by the printers in order to print my designs. I sometimes forgot to preview things before they printed, resulting in bad prints. After a few bad prints, I learned from my mistake, producing correctly scaled products, and making sure that they turned out as accurately as I designed them.

Overall, This course was a wonderful course to take. I am not sure if I would take it again, but I came away with skills that could help me in the future and design fun precision 3d models.  

Comments